In 1915, the first Nursing Institute was established by a group of American missionaries in Urmia. Three years later, a group of students graduated from the Institute. During the First World War, the school moved to Tabriz. Later, in 1926, the Institute was reestablished in Urmia. Following the closing down of the American Hospital in Urmia, the third group of students was moved to Tabriz. In 1981, Shahid Rajaei Teaching and Research Complex replaced Sedighe Rezaei Nursing Institute. In 1987, the Institute was renamed and restarted as the School of Nursing & Midwifery of Urmia University of Medical Sciences. Nowadays the School of Nursing and Midwifery is located at Nazlou Campus. It offers Bachelor's as well as Master's program at Nursing, Midwifery, Medical Surgical Nursing, Critical Care and consultation in midwifery courses. In 2016, the school started accepting Ph.D student in nursing course. The school also publishes a monthly scientific journal in the field of Nursing and Midwifery.