Urmia University of Medical Sciences (UMSU) is a public medical University located in Urmia, West Azarbaijan province, Iran.
The medical college institution which was founded by Joseph Cochran in current location of city campus of Urmia University in 1878 is considered the first attempt to establish higher education institute in Urmia. Dr. Cochran is also often credited for founding Iran’s "first contemporary medical college".
The Website of Urmia University credits Cochran for "lowering the infant mortality rate in the region" and for founding one of Iran's first modern hospitals in Urmia. The medical faculty Cochran established was joined by several other people, namely Drs. Wright, Homlz, van Nourdon, and Miller. They lived for whole of their life in Urmia.
Urmia University of Medical Sciences’ School of Pharmacy is dedicated to teaching and research in pharmacy and pharmaceutical sciences. Faculty of Pharmacy is the first highly rated Pharmacy School in West Azerbaijan, I.R. IRAN.
We have a long tradition of academic and research excellence. Founded in 2011, the faculty tries to elevate the profession of pharmacy by furnishing the means of proper instruction. One of the most intriguing aspects of our program is our diversity - our diversity in our students, in our faculty, and in the opportunities that exist here. We work with students very closely and provide a great deal of support. Our students are assigned to working groups, which translates to a strong campus community. In addition the departments are as follows:
Now The School of Pharmacy is an integral part of UMSU and has 7 departments, different laboratories, and Scientific Research Groups. Our faculty members are the leading clinicians and scholars of the country in both training and research skills
Our highly educated, attentive and very motivated faculty is a leading force in pharmacy education, drug service and research in the region.
The School is devoted to innovation in education, research brilliance, ethics and reliability, and broad clinical services.
· Training pharmacists along with modern advances in the World
· Leading fundamental and applied research in Pharmacy according to the region’s needs and problems through educational teams, research centers.
· Offering continuous education to the Pharmacy community of West Azarbaijan province
· Offering Pharmacy services to affiliated hospitals
· Department of Pharmaceutics
· Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology
· Department of Pharmacognosy
· Department of Pharmaceutical Chemistry
· Department of Pharmaceutical Biotechnology
· Department of Clinical Pharmacy
· Department of Drug and Food Control
Undergraduates are students of universities who have graduated from high school and have been accepted to university and study to get an Associate, B.Sc., M.D., D.D.S., or Pharm.D. degree. School of Pharmacy offers an undergraduate program in a five-year professional program leading to a Doctor of Pharmacy degree for both national and International students as follows:
Please click here to download Doctor of Pharmacy Program.
Language of Instruction
Classes will be held in Persian and some parts will be in English. Therefore, it is recommended to make arrangements to come at least one semester before to begin your Persian and English language classes.
The program will be held at UMSU International campus and its educational hospitals in Urmia, Iran.
* All interested applicants are welcomed to apply to UMSU by completing the online application form available at http://eform.umsu.ac.ir/Application to identify their school, level, and major of interest.