Urmia University of Medical Sciences (UMSU) is a public medical University located in Urmia, West Azarbaijan province, Iran.
The medical college institution which was founded by Joseph Cochran in current location of city campus of Urmia University in 1878 is considered the first attempt to establish higher education institute in Urmia. Dr. Cochran is also often credited for founding Iran’s "first contemporary medical college".
The Website of Urmia University credits Cochran for "lowering the infant mortality rate in the region" and for founding one of Iran's first modern hospitals in Urmia. The medical faculty Cochran established was joined by several other people, namely Drs. Wright, Homlz, van Nourdon, and Miller. They lived for whole of their life in Urmia.
In 1915, the first Nursing Institute was established by a group of American missionaries in Urmia. Three years later, a group of students graduated from the Institute. During the First World War, the school moved to Tabriz. Later, in 1926, the Institute was reestablished in Urmia. Following the closing down of the American Hospital in Urmia, the third group of students was moved to Tabriz. In 1981, Shahid Rajaei Teaching and Research Complex replaced Sedighe Rezaei Nursing Institute. In 1987, the Institute was renamed and restarted as the Faculty of Nursing & Midwifery of Urmia University of Medical Sciences.
Currently the School of Nursing and Midwifery is located at Nazlou Campus. It offers Bachelor’s as well as Master’s program at Nursing, Midwifery, Medical Surgical Nursing, Critical Care and consultation in midwifery courses.
The School also publishes a monthly scientific journal in the field of Nursing and Midwifery.
The School of Nursing and Midwifery aims to advance its community by offering helpful courses and programs and paving way for research both locally and globally.
· Training nurses in different fields along with modern advances in World’s nursing.
· Encouraging and Training postgraduate students (MSc and PhD) to meet the treatment and health-requirements and also providing academic staff for the universities and research centers in the country.
· Leading fundamental and applied research in basic and clinical sciences according to health-treatment needs and problems through educational teams and research centers.
· Offering continuous education to the medical community of West Azarbaijan province
· Offering health and treatment services to hospitals and affiliated health centers
· Nursing Department
· Midwifery Department
· Medical Emergency Department
School of Nursing and Midwifery offers several degree programs for undergraduate and postgraduate levels for both national and International students.
Undergraduates are students of universities who have graduated from high school and have been accepted to university and study to get an Associate, B.Sc., M.D., D.D.S., or Pharm.D. degree. The School of Nursing and Midwifery offers undergraduate programs as follows:
A graduate applicant has already completed and obtained the first-level university degree and aims to pursue his or her studies beyond. The graduate programs at School of Nursing and Midwifery are as follows:
Language of Instruction
Classes will be held in Persian and some parts will be in English. Therefore, it is recommended to make arrangements to come at least one semester before to begin your Persian language classes.
The program will be held at UMSU International campus.
* All interested applicants are welcomed to apply to UMSU by completing the online application form available at http://eform.umsu.ac.ir/Application to identify their school, level, and major of interest.