Urmia University of Medical Sciences (UMSU) is a public medical University located in Urmia, West Azarbaijan province, Iran.
The medical college institution which was founded by Joseph Cochran in current location of city campus of Urmia University in 1878 is considered the first attempt to establish higher education institute in Urmia. Dr. Cochran is also often credited for founding Iran’s "first contemporary medical college".
The Website of Urmia University credits Cochran for "lowering the infant mortality rate in the region" and for founding one of Iran's first modern hospitals in Urmia. The medical faculty Cochran established was joined by several other people, namely Drs. Wright, Homlz, van Nourdon, and Miller. They lived for whole of their life in Urmia.
Now The School of Medicine is an integral part of UMSU and has 33 departments, 5 educational hospitals and several special clinics and 23 governmental hospitals in West Azerbaijan Province. The School of Medicine offers wide-ranging programs on clinical sciences including M.D., Residency (Specialty), and fellowship programs. It offers graduate degree programs of (M.Sc., MPH & Ph.D.) in basic sciences besides. Our faculty members are the leading clinicians and scholars of the country, in both training and clinical skills and research.
A great strength of the medical school is its full-time faculty members who serve as pillars of support for the goals of the Schools. Our highly educated, attentive and very motivated faculty is a leading force in medical education, research, and patient care in the region.
The School is devoted to innovation in education, research brilliance, ethics and reliability, and broad clinical services.
Medical School Goals
· Training general practitioners and specialists in different fields of clinical medicine along with modern advances in World’s medicine.
· Encouraging and Training postgraduate students (Ms and PhD) to meet the treatment and health-requirements and also providing academic staff for the universities and research centers in the country.
· Leading fundamental and applied research in basic and clinical sciences according to health-treatment needs and problems through educational teams and research centers.
· Offering continuous education to the medical community of West Azarbaijan province
· Offering health and treatment services to hospitals and affiliated health centers
Basic Sciences Departments
· Nutritional Sciences
· Medical Physics
· Medical Immunology and Genetics
· Parasitology and Mycology
· Epidemiology and Biostatistics
· Educational Sciences
· Islamic Thoughts
· Community and Preventive Medicine
· Emergency Medicine
· Family Medicine (MPH)
· Forensic Medicine and Toxicology
· General Surgery
· Infectious Disease
· Internal Medicine
· Obstetrics and Gynecology
School of Medicine offers several degree programs for undergraduate and postgraduate levels for both national and International students.
Undergraduates are students of universities who have graduated from high school and have been accepted to university and study to get an Associate, B.Sc., M.D., D.D.S., or Pharm.D. degree. The School of Medicine offers undergraduate program of Medicine as follows:
Please click here to download M.D. Program.
Language of Instruction
Classes will be held in Persian and some parts will be in English. Therefore, it is recommended to make arrangements to come at least one semester before to begin your Persian language classes.
The program will be held at UMSU International campus and its educational hospitals in Urmia, Iran.
A graduate applicant has already completed and obtained the first-level university degree and aims to pursue his or her studies beyond. The graduate programs at UMSU are Master’s, MPH., PhD, and Specialty as follows:
Master’s and MPH Programs
* All interested applicants are welcomed to apply to UMSU by completing the online application form available at http://eform.umsu.ac.ir/Application to identify their school, level, and major of interest.