Urmia University of Medical Sciences (UMSU) is a public medical University located in Urmia, West Azarbaijan province, Iran.
The medical college institution which was founded by Joseph Cochran in current location of city campus of Urmia University in 1878 is considered the first attempt to establish higher education institute in Urmia. Dr. Cochran is also often credited for founding Iran’s "first contemporary medical college".
The Website of Urmia University credits Cochran for "lowering the infant mortality rate in the region" and for founding one of Iran's first modern hospitals in Urmia. The medical faculty Cochran established was joined by several other people, namely Drs. Wright, Homlz, van Nourdon, and Miller. They lived for whole of their life in Urmia.
Now The School of Health is an integral part of UMSU and has different Scientific Research Centers equipped with advanced laboratories and facilities located in West Azerbaijan Province. The School of Health offers wide-ranging undergraduate and graduate degree programs. Our faculty members are the notable scholars of the country in both training and research.
Our vision in the School of Health is to educate future leaders to redefine and advance health science. We believe the solution to the crisis in health care is to keep more people healthier, longer, with an emphasis on prevention first, then care when needed, to make health and health care sustainable. The Faculty of Health aims to advance health of community by offering helpful courses and programs and paving way for research both locally and globally.
Health School Goals
· Encouraging and Training graduate and postgraduate students to meet the treatment and health-requirements and also providing academic staff for the universities and research centers in the country.
· Leading fundamental and applied research according to health-treatment needs and problems through educational teams and research centers.
· Offering continuous education to the health community of West Azarbaijan province
· Offering health and treatment services to hospitals and affiliated health centers
· Public Health Department
· Department of Medical Entomology and Vector Control
· Department of Occupational Health and Ergonomics
· Department of Environmental Health Engineering
School of Health offers several degree programs for undergraduate and postgraduate levels for both national and International students.
Undergraduates are students of universities who have graduated from high school and have been accepted to university and study to get an Associate, B.Sc., M.D., D.D.S., or Pharm.D. degree. The School of Health offers undergraduate programs as follows:
A graduate applicant has already completed and obtained the first-level university degree and aims to pursue his or her studies beyond. The graduate programs at School of Health are as follows:
Language of Instruction
Classes will be held in Persian and some parts will be in English. Therefore, it is recommended to make arrangements to come at least one semester before to begin your Persian language classes.
The program will be held at UMSU International campus and its educational hospitals in Urmia, Iran.
* All interested applicants are welcomed to apply to UMSU by completing the online application form available at http://eform.umsu.ac.ir/Application to identify their school, level, and major of interest.